Pull up a chair and dig in girl...I've been waiting for you!

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

parenthood.

Parenthood.
It makes me cry.

Well. I mean. I don’t mean being a parent.
Then again-sometimes that does make me cry.

But tonight I mean the show.
Are you watching Parenthood on TV???

Ah. Maze. Ing.
I tease (sorta) that my life is Parenthood meets Modern Family.

Tonight Sarah (Lauren Graham) is fumbling with how to support her daughter Amber (Mae Whitmen) who is a Senior in High School and really trying to find her own way. Sarah sits down with Amber and says:

(and yes. I did rewind and type this word for word.)
(I’m a geek. I know.)

“When you have kids, if you have kids, there’s something you should know. A very confusing thing they don’t tell you. You see so much of yourself in them. You see your ironic take on the world. You see your smile, your laugh, and your sense of humor, whatever. And you think they’re you. But they’re not you. And they shouldn’t have all of your baggage, your fear, your insecurity, and your life experience because that’s not fair. They have their own.”

Then she tries to help her daughter spread her wings and do her thing.
And I’m crying.
Not because it was sad.
But because it is so true.

I have a mini-me. I have two actually but the older one is hitting all the mile markers of growing up two years ahead of her younger sister. I have watched Mini-McGee and projected myself on her because I see McGee at 14 when I see her face. I want to protect her from the ugly world. I want to shield her from hurt, any hurt I ever had. Ever. But I can’t. And she will have her own experience no matter how like me she is. And so will my other mini-me. It’s part of life.

I couldn’t find the clip of Amber ending the show singing at an open mike night spreading her wings but this little montage gem made me cry a little harder so I thought I would be so kind as to share it with you.


 
If you aren't watching this show, start now.
It's awesome.
 
Need more tissue...McGee

No comments: