Pull up a chair and dig in girl...I've been waiting for you!

Sunday, January 3, 2010

bye bye resolutions!

Define insanity...
Doing the same thing over and over again
Expecting different results.

In other words…new years resolutions!

We all do it. It’s almost impossible to avoid it. I even look forward to it!  Every year around December 26th I start thinking about what I did this past year and what I hope to do in the coming year. I get a renewed excitement about goals, plans and dreams for what’s next. It’s almost like a biological alarm goes off triggering high hopes and aspirations as though January first cleans the slate and opens the doors to a brighter future.

I’ve been mulling over what I wanted to do in 2010 with lots flying around my mind and nothing coherent coming out clearly and then I read my friend Sarah Jaggard's blog about new years resolutions. She points out that the resolutions of the past set up a list of things she didn’t do, trips she didn’t take, changes she didn’t make. Then Sarah said something that completely changed the way I looked at my new year habit-she posted...

“So this year I’m doing something a little different because I actually hope to achieve my goals for the year. It’s less about what I want to accomplish and more about who I want to be.”

Hmmmm.

No big list of specifics?
No number assigned to the amount of pounds I wanted to lose?
More focus on life itself and the direction I’m going in?

I am so in.

So this year…who do I want to be and how do I want to live?

I will be more open this year.
Open to new opportunities.
Open to try new things.
Open to other’s way of doing things and their opinions and feelings.

I will live my life more creatively.
I will pick up my camera.
I will keep writing this blog.
And keep seeing new things in a new light.

Am I still going to join a gym, lose weight, stop picking at my nails, journal more and work more efficiently? Sure. But my focus and priority will not be a check list.

Openly.
Creatively.

I think 2010 is time for a new way to think of the new year.
Let’s do this!

McGee

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perfectly in tune with what I am thinking...if everyone's doing it then it probably isn't worth doing...thus the need to recalibrate ourselves on the issue of resolutions for the new year.

I'm all for aiming high but I am more about letting the real me show itself...expressing ourselves fully, completely and without hesitation.

My favorite quote is "it's never too late to become the person you could have been" by author George Elliot.

Lets just decide we own 2010 and blog a year from now about how awesome it was. :)

Lauren said...

hmmm...very similar to my "resolution." Mine is to attempt to look at life through a positive light and drop the negativity - thoughts create results. If I can do that then the things I want to achieve will be mine. No need for lists, just think and achieve!

Here is to a life full of abundance in 2010 for us both!