Pull up a chair and dig in girl...I've been waiting for you!

Friday, January 22, 2010

sad, soggy Via Spiga's

My Via Spiga's are unhappy with me.
Or, I prefer to think...with the rain.

And lest you think I have a closet full of these designer shoes to choose from on any given day, please know I love Payless shoe source and Target's shoe department and dream of the day I wear my first pair of Jimmy Choo's. 

So when I say my Via Spiga's are unhappy with me.  I take it personally.

In case you haven't heard we are having the storm of the century down here in L.A.  (And if you haven't heard that you should know we have a black president now and Britney's back.)  And of course when it rains, it pours.  I pulled into my driveway cozy and dry in my nice warm car so grateful that I get to pull into my garage and avoid all the rain but when I hit the button to open the gate...

Nothing.

Ordinarily no big deal but now I had to park on the street and walk in through the guest entrance, maneuver through a couple walkways and hope that my work clothes and those damn Via Spiga's don't get too wet along the way.  I headed in towards our place and found myself in a bit of a puddle...not too bad...so I kept going.

Until I realized that my feet were super cold now.
I was holding up my slacks so they wouldn't get wet.
And now my shins were cold and wet.

Really.

I was wading through the absolute only way I could get to my house and I was now in a corridor with six inches of standing water.  Very cold standing water. 

I finished the swim to our place and swore up and down cursing the water, dropped my Via Spiga's onto a towel, lovingly dried them the best I could and then attempted to warm my toes.

But then I realized...my kids were about to come home.  And they would have to walk the same way.  And lest you think what I'm about to tell you is because I adore my kids and would part the river for them to walk through it out of the goodness of my mommy heart; I should tell you that the only thing worse than sad, soggy Via Spiga's is an entryway full of wet sloppy kid shoes and soaking wet socks strewn everywhere.

So I hatched a plan.
Because I'm resourceful like that.

This plan had me in a big baggy sweatshirt, basketball shorts and flip flops.  I never said it was a brilliant plan.  I headed out to unclog what must be a clogged drain and relieve the complex of these waterlogged walkways.  I forgot my Superwoman cape-perhaps next time.

The water was so cold and the drain was so clogged with leaves that it took multiple trips in and out of the water.  I brushed aside the leaves as long as I could before I literally could not stand the cold any longer...would find higher ground for a moment (where I would reflect about how I left Marin county for the sunshine)and then back in I went until there was just a trickle or water in the complex well on it's way to the drain and out into the street.

As I walked back to our place with a little pep in my superwoman step I noticed those toes I so neatly had manicured a week ago. 

They were red.
Not the nails. 
The toes. 
And the feet. 
And just a bit of the shins.

But the victory felt was priceless.
That is...until I went inside.
And saw those Via Spiga's...

They were pissed.

McGee

No comments: