Pull up a chair and dig in girl...I've been waiting for you!

Friday, September 10, 2010

It's all about who you know...

In Los Angeles it's always about who you know.
I always know someone, who knows someone.
It’s pretty exciting.
I’m not going to lie!

Like, seriously.
I know someone who knows Will Smith's friend.
For real.

But the more exciting thing is that I know people, who know people, who know some really important things and are willing to share their wisdom.

For example…

I was hanging with my girl Jen the other day and she knew this girl, who knew some important things, who told her that if life feels overwhelming we should be aware of the ratio of the amount of people we have in our life that we are trying to help or save vs. the amount of people in our life we look up to.

See?

It pays to know people, who know people.

I’ve been thinking about this all night.
It’s become a bit of a momentary obsession, really.
(Enough to blog twice in one day!)
What does that ratio really say about me?
What is the healthy ratio to strive for?
When can I meet this smart girl my friend knows?
(Although I hear she has a great blog-check it out- Click HERE)

I think our responsibility in life is to give back, to help those who need help, to inspire and lift up those around us that need a hand. However. At times I have made it my personal mission to save people to the point of diminishing returns to my own life. And oddly enough, most of those people I’m saving? They never even wanted to be saved and surely didn’t appoint me their personal savior! (I am sure that, had they known how great I really was, they would have paid for my services though.)

I also know that my life has felt more blessed and more peaceful and rewarding when I have people around me that I strive to be like. People who lift me up, challenge my thoughts and fears, push me to be the best McGee around. Those people often have their own challenges but I admire their willingness to walk through them and do the dirty work of life.

So perhaps then, the healthy ratio is always the variable?

Maybe when life feels dangerously overwhelming we should be looking at the ratio and letting go of a few of those people who need fixing and spend a little more time with the people that inspire us.

What do you think?

It totally pays to live in L.A.
I know people, who know people.

It’s just how I roll.

-McGee

No comments: