Pull up a chair and dig in girl...I've been waiting for you!

Friday, March 5, 2010

postscript to only in LA...

Remember Blockbuster Bob*?
See: only in LA

Mr. Man and I were perusing the racks at Blockbuster tonight anxious to find something new to spend our Friday night enjoying when I hear a rather enthusiastic voice from behind me…

“Hey guys!”

It’s Blockbuster Bob. Who, by the way, is quite a nice guy. And not in a creepy “why are you working at a video store is there something wrong with you" nice kinda way. Genuinely a cool dude working a gig to pay the bills.

He looks around carefully to make sure the coast is clear and says quietly…

“Hey-I can get you guys something not out yet-how about “(new movie that isn't released until next week)” maybe?”

And I can’t turn him down.
Even if we don’t particularly want to see that one tonight.
I mean-look.
Now we have an IN!

So he’s walking us up to the counter and I tell him about how famous I thought he was at the concert-I like to think he’s laughing with me-not at me. He goes behind the desk and whispers in the ear of the guy working the register while we wait in line. Register dude looks at him and then us and says “Really?”

And as Blockbuster Bob walks out the door he says…

“Hey-it’s all about who you know!”

And with a wink and a grin he's gone home for the night.

And Mr. Man and I? 
We giggle.
In line.
At Blockbuster.

‘Cause now we are part of the inner circle.
We're part of the cool kids club.

Gotta love my town!

*name has been changed to protect my new IN at the mighty Blockbuster chain. Hey-I don’t want the whole world to get in on my deal.  What?

McGee

2 comments:

Kerrie said...

so, what did you see?

Lauren Call Green said...

FINALLY reading your blog. Love it! I worked at a Blockbuster for a few months long ago. I loved getting to take home movies that weren't on the shelves yet. Made me feel special :)

And I loved your post about Laughlin. Baby ferrets are darn adorable! I had two of them at one point!