Pull up a chair and dig in girl...I've been waiting for you!

Sunday, November 21, 2010

permission.

Sitting in the front yard playing with the two littlest.
Soapy D with her jump rope and Little Man on his scooter.
Look up from my book to see Soapy D start to cry.

“What’s wrong kiddo?”
“Little Man t-t-t-took my ju-ju-ju-ump rope.”
“Sweetheart. Stop crying about it and just tell him you want it back.”

It was like watching lightening strike.
Her face went from sad to fierce in 2 seconds flat.
“LITTLE MAN. I WANT MY JUMP ROPE BACK!”

It was like she just needed permission to stand up for herself.

It’s kinda funny, more like a sad funny, that we girls tend to do this thing. This thing where we start to cry and look for people around us to hug us and wipe up tears and solve our problems rather than stand up for ourselves. Once I told Soapy D that she needed to just tell Little Man to give it back it was like a light went on in her head and she just flipped a switch. She put those hands on her little hips, stomped her foot and got the angry look while demanding her jump rope be returned.

She just needed permission.

I wonder how often I’ve done this as a grown woman. How many times did I cry and whine and complain about how unfair something while waiting for someone to step in and make things right and fair in the world?  Do I stomp my feet and wait for someone else to come and rescue me? 

What would it look like it I stood up for myself and getting what I wanted by doing what I needed to do?  What if I could empower myself to just ask for what I need in any situation or relationship?

Hmmm. Something to ponder for sure.

Need permission?
You have mine!

-McGee

No comments: