Pull up a chair and dig in girl...I've been waiting for you!

Friday, April 16, 2010

next right thing.

It’s really weird.
I used to have all the answers.
And a grand master plan.

I wonder what happened?

Oh. That’s right. I got real.

I used to think I knew how my life would go-I had steps in mind to get me where I was going and a plan that everyone around me needed to subscribe to. Because it was my plan which meant it was good. And right.

And then, like it does, life kinda jumped out from around the corner the way my kids do to scare me when I’m walking down the hall. I’ve heard that the way to make God laugh is to make plans. So I made Him laugh-so what?

But there is hope! The older I get, the more I’ve made peace with a truth that just may save my life yet.
Are you ready for this?
Are you sitting down?

I don’t know everything.

There.
I said it.

I have found myself at a familiar crossroad. I’ve been here before and I’ll be here again. It has to do with not being sure about the future but being sure there’s more out there in store for me, for us, for our family. I know where I want to go, I know the kind of human beings I want to raise, I know the life I want to live and the man I want to live it with but when it comes to eating an elephant I also know I need to attack it one bite at a time.

There’s a manageability to the concept of doing the next right thing. And by that I mean the next correct thing, not the next best thing. It’s overwhelming when I look at the path I want to take and feel unsure about the whole journey. When I look at what I CAN do next and just do THAT I feel empowered and hopeful. I’ve tried eating the whole elephant in one bite but it never works and I always end up with a belly ache and a mess!

So I’ll do what I did last time I was here.
I’ll do the next right thing.
I’ll take the next step I see to take.
I won’t worry so much about the entire road,
Just the next turn.

Last time I did it I ended up right where I needed to be.
I think it’s time to do it again!

-McGee

No comments: