Pull up a chair and dig in girl...I've been waiting for you!

Sunday, November 25, 2018

what to make AFTER the holidays?


If I see one more potato,
eat anything else that tastes like Turkey
or see another pie I might throw a fit.

Reached for a family favorite in the realm of clean eating tonight and thought I would share it with you! It's simple. It's clean. And my entire family devours it. Best of all? It reminds me of my Grandma Veda's Casserole but in this dish cabbage replaces pasta. It's the bomb dot com you guys. Here you go...




UNSTUFFED CABBAGE ROLLS

Ingredients:
1 1/2 to 2 pounds lean ground beef
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced *I add more but we love garlic*
1 green cabbage, chopped
2 cans (14.5 ounces each) low sodium diced tomatoes
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning 

Directions:
In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the ground beef and onion and cook, stirring, until ground beef is no longer pink and onion is tender.
Add the garlic and continue cooking for 1 minute.
Add the chopped cabbage, tomatoes, tomato sauce, pepper, and salt. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes, or until cabbage is tender.

Yield: Serves 6 to 8. I wish I could take credit for this dish or give proper credit-it was passed to me by a friend from a friend from likely an old Weight Watchers source. Apparently the entire dish is only 7 points in the old school WW Points program! 

If you try it let me know what you think! We often serve it as a one bowl dinner or add a salad. 

It's filling AND delicious. 
And bonus this week? 
It tastes nothing like turkey.

Enjoy...
-McGee



No comments: