Pull up a chair and dig in girl...I've been waiting for you!

Monday, February 14, 2011

rethinking "Mr. Mom"

So.

It’s Valentine’s Day.
I’ve been known to celebrate people on their birthdays,
But today deserves a special nod!

I happen to be blessed to be married to my best friend. There are numerous things I love about him, too many to list. But here’s the thing…sometimes I forget how great he is, just the way he is. This past week I was in New York training for my new job. Mr. Man was here holding down the home front with ALL FOUR KIDS home. I am a good mom. I am. Ask anyone. But even I would feel overwhelmed by all four kids for five nights without my partner.

So I arranged the nanny’s schedule.
I signed all the kids school paperwork.
I double checked the calendar.
Did all the laundry.

I did everything I could do to set up success.
But then I left.
And it was up to him.

So here’s where it gets tricky. As a mom I happen to think that my way is, well, you know, THE way. And while nothing goes totally according to plan, I wanted to think that they would.

Go according to plan.
To my plan.
Mine.

The first time things seemed to be off course I was cranky and panicky. The second time I was probably rude. The third? Definitely rude. Then I heard him refer to himself as Mr. Mom. Or maybe I saw it. Probably a Facebook thing.

And then I started thinking.
Mr. Mom?
That’s kind of offensive.
To him.
Just follow me for a sec.

Fast forward 7 days, when I get home we have a pretty clean house, food in the fridge, a husband who is really glad to see me and four happy, healthy kids who had a great week with their dad. Not a great week with their dad who pretended to be mom or did things mom's way. They had a week that went by dad’s rules. And dad’s rewards. And you know what? It was good. It was all good.

I was so focused on him pulling it off and being the perfect “Mr. Mom” that I didn’t realize I was asking him to not do him, not be dad, not do it his way. And that was wrong. As mom’s I think we tend to expect dad’s to fall in line with our train of thought, be that Mr. Mom when we can’t be there. Out of necessity this week I had no choice but to watch from a far as he did things his way. And his way was great.

So to all of those “Mr. Mom’s” out there…
Forgive us.
You do you-because you do it well!
And to Mr. Man…
On our first married Valentine’s Day…

I adore you.
Just you.
Just the way you are.
Every. Single. Day.

Thank you for being the man you are.

-McGee

No comments: