Pull up a chair and dig in girl...I've been waiting for you!

Monday, December 6, 2010

mini-McGee goes to high school.

Mini-McGee is literally just that.
A mini-me.
Physically, emotionally, athletically…
It’s like a carbon copy of my heart beats outside of my chest.

Mini-McGee starting high school this year was bizarre. She’s very age appropriate, an amazing student, a great athlete and has a really good group of friends so it’s not like I was worried about what SHE would be doing as much as the fact that she would be going to school every day with (practically) grown men! The difference between a Freshman and a Senior is all of a sudden staggering.

*Sidenote* To my mom and dad. I’m so sorry. You were right and I was wrong. It’s not ok for a Freshman girl to go out with a Senior boy. I totally get it now. Totally.

I had the awesome opportunity to watch her first high school basketball game last week and walked away loving who she is even more. I watched Mini-McGee play hard, lead her team, acknowledge the other team members with exceptional sportsmanship and stay out of the nastiest physical girl fight I’ve ever seen even while her team nearly cleared the bench to participate. (That last one was an eye opener-we are no longer in the proverbial “Kansas” anymore!)

It’s an amazing thing.
Watching your little girl.
And seeing glimpses of the woman she will become.
Scratch that.
Is already becoming.

And…
Then…
She was invited to play Varsity for a tournament.
As a Freshman.
And I watched her giggle and nearly jump for joy.

Today is a good day.
Her win’s are hers, for sure…
But I relish in them with her!

-McGee, proud mommy of a high school girl

2 comments: